A Call to Arms

most wanted canons

ATTENTION: ACTA is going Private and will henceforth be primarily character driven! This means we will no longer be doing outside recruitment/advertising (though we will not turn folks away if they stumble upon us). We also will have fewer admin-driven site events, and no activity requirements. Want more information? Check out the Announcement HERE!

Closed
New Poll

Crashes on my Left, Edmure | 1st Crone
JAYSEN MOOTON
 direct link • May 25 2017, 07:59 pm
years
• • 0 posts

The journey to King's Landing had been good in one way. It allowed Jayse to stop in at Maidenpool for a time to tend to the affairs of his estate. It wasn't that Trentyn wasn't absolutely adept at doing so, but what kind of Lord would Jayse be if he did not want to at least be informed on every expenditure? Of course, there was the fact his children were there and Jayse did not relish in leaving them overly long. Already Kalenna had changed so much in his absence and his son and heir was growing like a wild weed.

Too he wanted both of his sisters to return to Riverrun with him, to make their presence known to the king and other nobles at court. It was well past time Eleanor was wed and Emaleigh would be a little long in the tooth soon as well if strides weren't taken to find her a husband. If it were Edmure Tilly, so be it, but at this juncture, Jayse would be happy to have them spending someone else's wealth on their pretty little trinkets and dresses.

In the last few weeks, Jaysen had pulled a few good investments into his reach as well as determined the exact monetary losses the raids on their western shores had cost them. The compensation that had been so generously offered needed to come from somewhere as well. He often wondered if silly twits with crowns realized that they could only promise coin that was in their possession. Being the Master of Coin meant he would have to find a few coins from one venture or another to pay off her promises.

Finding the council room as quiet a place as any to finalize a few transactions and record their details, Jaysen was surprised to see the King in the room when he looked up from the parchment. Careful not to spill the inkwell as he set the quill aside, Jaysen stood and gave his sovereign a smart bow accompanied by a greeting. "Good morning, your Grace. I hope the day finds you well." He remained standing, awaiting the leisure of his liege, and considered the man he considered more than just his king, but a friend as well.

EDMURE TULLY
 direct link • May 27 2017, 03:22 pm
years
• • 0 posts

a simple man
BE SOMETHING YOU LOVE AND UNDERSTAND

Edmure felt obliged to work. He'd been back for some time now and while he had managed to clear up the large things, such as Alora's handling of the Ironborn and debrief of Laisa and the glancing through marriage proposals and the status of Jasper in the Vale whom Edmure refused to recognize as an ally. All of that was arguably done. There would be follow ups with most of it of course, but for now it was taken care of. Now what he needed to focus on was the smaller things. Signing of papers, particularly property rights or general decrees. Paperwork. It was idle work, not difficult, but necessary for a clean and proper kingdom. Considering the turbulent times they all lived in, he needed to do his part to ensure a clean and proper kingdom. He entered his council room, preferring it to a personal chamber for such work. He noticed suddenly Jaysen there as well.

The Lord Mooton was an excellent man, forthright, honest and as good an adviser as any. He had a penchant for coin too, and managed expenses and taxes better than most anyone else. Perhaps not the magic touch of Petyr, but Jaysen was arguably a better man than Edmure's foster brother. Though... It was quite a debate. Still, Jaysen was Edmure's friend and a good man. The blood of the Riverlands flowed well through him. Edmure waved down Jaysen, telling him to relax with his gesture. "As well as any day does." Edmure said briefly, tossing the papers he'd brought from his study onto the table and taking a seat himself in front of him. "And you Lord Jaysen? Your day's are well?" Edmure asked, cocking an eyebrow as a question. He pulled a quill and ink from the center of the table towards his work station as he looked to his Master of Coin. "All well and good in Maidenpool?"

jaysen

JAYSEN MOOTON
 direct link • May 27 2017, 05:20 pm
years
• • 0 posts

Work seemed to be the order of the day. Once he had the ledgers and finances under wraps, more work was in order but of a less predictable sort. His sisters wanted to see the sights. They had been born and reared in the Riverlands. They should know a river by now if they saw one. He knew they wanted his attention because they believed he would loosen purse strings and buy them pretties if he wanted them to be presentable catches. Maybe he was like Petyr in some way, selling the flesh of women to the highest bidder. The flesh he peddled was sister and the coin was power.

"Another day, another expenditure it seems." Jayse cracked a smile, rare but rather genuine as he watched his king then took his seat once more. "Maidenpool thrives. My children are all healthy and well. My brother has a firm hand on things there which leaves me time to devote to the kingdom." With a small shrug, Jaysen also mentioned his sisters. "And my lady sisters have decided to join me this trip. It will do them good to mingle at court." Mingle and marry and if they landed a king or some other Lord, good thing. Jaysen did not dislike his half-sisters. He disliked the chaos they could have descend upon an otherwise orderly and peaceful life. He disliked their extravagance as well, but perhaps he was to blame for their spoiled natures. Though spoiled, each was kind at least.

"Your family is well, I hope." With the exception of the queen who had been so brutally slain by the men of the Vale in their petty little uprising. Jaysen had a few documents ready for the king's perusal but he did not force them upon Edmure, instead setting them aside that the king might read each at his leisure. Jaysen knew his ruler would be pleased at least with the profits made, even if there were some losses to show from the raiding scum.

EDMURE TULLY
 direct link • May 29 2017, 09:46 am
years
• • 0 posts

a simple man

Jaysen smiled, such was not to the man's nature Edmure knew, but that made them more special when they happened. There was something to be said for using scarcity in interactions with other people, but to Edmure... well such required far more forethought than Edmure generally put into talking with other people. That said a lot about what Edmure valued then didn't it?

Edmure nodded. "Good to hear your lands still thrive. Not that I would expect they wouldn't be just... These are turbulent times are they not? Things happen faster than I can track them, so knowing your lands are well off takes that small worry off my shoulders." Edmure said briefly, glancing to the bottom of the page before him, an ink drop falling onto the page. He moved his hand quickly once he saw where he needed sign. His signature was hardly elegant, but it was definite. He sealed it, and then placed the paper to the side. Jaysen had mentioned his sisters coming to court now and Edmure nodded vaguely. "Again, these are turbulent times, The sooner all is squared away with relations and mingling the better. I hope to meet them soon." He noted, though he didn't really know what he meant, just saying things.

Jaysen asked after his family and Edmure shrugged. "Alora is headstrong, but in line, at least for now. And at least, as far as I can tell. I should stop ignoring her." He said absentmindedly as Jaysen passed more papers over to him. Edmure took them and set them to the side where he might get to them soon. "Laisa is heartbroken, devastated. It is hard to reach through to her in many aspects, though I wish I could. And my wife is dead. So... All in all, pretty bad." Edmure's eyes scrolled up to look towards Jaysen, wondering what the man's goals were, if they were just smalltalk or if the man had a point.

jaysen

JAYSEN MOOTON
 direct link • May 30 2017, 07:36 am
years
• • 0 posts

Jaysen listened to the pause as his king spoke of turbulent times. How well Jaysen knew the slightest issue might cost him dearly. If they were tot ake up arms against the Vale for the death of their former queen, Jaysen knew Maidenpool would be a prime target for Jasper Arryn's forces to hit. A jewel on the eastern reaches of the Riverlands, it was so close to the Vale one could nearly toss a stone from one to the other. "There is nothing at Maidenpool more precious than the lives of my children. I know without fail, my brother would get them out and to me if the worst imaginable thing were to befall us. Luckily we have strong defenses and enough coin to buy more if needed. Not that I want such expenditures by any means." Jaysen could spend the coin but the idea of doing so made his skin crawl. He was resourceful yet frugal at times.

He would not get that luxury with his sisters at court. Neither knew the meaning of the word frugality, at least not when it came to spending their older brother's coin. "I will have them present themselves to you. While I grumble about their spending, they are actually lovely young women, of good birth naturally, and can hold a conversation much better than I. Give me numbers above words." That was nothing but the truth, as Jaysen much preferred the predictability of numbers. A number was simply what it was, and three could never be five in and of itself. It could earn two more gold, but three would never be not three.

"Daughters can be demanding. At just three, mine wishes to dominate all of my time and I find allowing her to accompany me on my duties is often easier than her wailing at being left behind. Daughters will cry over hurts, real and imagined. And having lost mothers maks it no easier on the fathers left behind. I have been there, my friend. If there is anything I can do to help you through it, please do not hesitate to ask. Times will get better. I am certain already you are feeling pressured to find another wife to bear you a son and heir." Jaysen had every intention of allowing his sisters to enter the running for the king's affections. He could not attest to their fertility and their mother had presented nothing but girls to their father, but his father already had the heir and spare given by his first wife. Jaysen himself had fathered not only his son and daughter but a set of bastard twins, a boy and girl of some twelve years.

"Do not allow anyone to encourage what you are not ready for. Take your time and get your house in order, or so my grandfather would advise." Jaysen had been organizing his sheafs and books as he spoke, his eyes on some distant point as if seeking a grandfatherism to offer his king, but none seemed forthcoming. And Just keep your head up, son did not seem fitting in this case.

EDMURE TULLY
 direct link • Jun 01 2017, 09:48 pm
years
• • 0 posts

a simple man

Edmure nodded as Jaysen seemed satisfied about Maidenpool's position, at least in regards to the future. Confident in some ways. Edmure wished he could be so about everything. It was not that he was unconfident, no, Edmure was sure that he would make it out of this. Tully would remain on top regardless of Perwyn's concerns. The jumpy and ambitious might see an opportunity, but again, Tully was the blood of the river. A smooth ride until it drowns the careless and reckless. Edmure felt this was his path, and he could walk it. It was not a lack of confidence, just an uncertainty. Given what had happened in the Vale and his inability to stop it (had he any ability to prevent it, such would have required actions dating back many years) and everything else... Tully was in a rough position and it was largely because of forces relatively out of his control. He was still here, but he was afraid he would lose more daughters and more standing. The former was a far more terrifying option.

Edmure laughed once as Jaysen noted he was a poor conversationalist. "Better than I. At least you have the numbers, I just have bad words and bad numbers. I look forward to meeting them." Edmure noted casually. He met many people of the court, but Edmure was king, and he had a duty to the people of his kingdom, to know them. And especially since these were the sisters of his good friend, he'd be eager.

Jaysen continued to speak about daughters and families, and Edmure watched the man, listening attentively, work paused. His words were not inaccurate, and were comforting if only to the degree that Edmure knew that Jaysen was a man with similar experiences to his own. "My daughters are precious to me, but so is my kingdom. It can be difficult to reconcile one with the other, not to mention the other half a million factors. I appreciate the note of support Jaysen, but these are matters I must bear on my own. As you say, times will get better, and my family dynamics will hopefully follow." Edmure turned back down to his papers. "As for the matter of wives... I am done mourning. I've a duty to this kingdom, as I've said. And these are turbulent times once again, if I die, I want an heir this kingdom will follow and I know will lead well." If he had a son the child would be heir. Nothing against Alora, well many things against Alora, but he knew much the kingdom would be discontented with a Queen Regent. If she would be heir, she would have to win the second criteria beyond a doubt, for the first would escape her by matter of what was between her legs.

jaysen

JAYSEN MOOTON
 direct link • Jun 06 2017, 06:53 pm
years
• • 0 posts

Jaysen was pleased to hear the king's laugh. Edmure had far too much weight on his shoulders of late to find joy in small things, or so it seemed. The laugh only proved that Jaysen was good for him. Numbers and all. "It's when the numbers don't make sense to anyone but myself that the conversation becomes a chore, but you should not worry at least about the Treasury numbers. I will keep that worry for you. Besides, they are looking extremely well fed these days. The numbers, not my sisters. Please do not tell them I even spoke of them and well fed in a single sentence. What is it about young women that have them so worried about every morsel they eat?"

He cared. It was not to say he minded meat on a woman's bones. He actually preferred more than a straight stick for a figure but there were some curves that looked well-placed on a woman and some that did not. Wide of hip and heavy of tit would make a fine mother but he did not even need that, with his own children already settled nicely into his home. "My sisters have spoken of little more than finally setting eyes upon you themselves, but I must apologize on their behalf if they make fools of themselves. They seem rather taken with the idea of making your acquaintance and likely have romanticized it within their heads as young girls are wont to do." He was not telling a falsehood. His sisters did have designs on gaining Edmure's attention, but Jaysen did nothing to dissuade them from that. He had, in fact, encouraged it to some degree. It would not hurt his house if one were to catch the king's eye.

Lord Mooton was more relieved than he would ever admit hearing the king speak of being done with mourning. Jaysen had not mourned his bitch of a wife, though many might believe he yet did since he seemed in no hurry to wed again. He had no need for an heir as Edmure did. His son was alive and well, strong, healthy and sharp as a tack. What Jaysen wanted now was to solidify his own power within the kingdom, and not to have some beggar of a wife bothering him as every turn. He fully believed there were times a wife should just roll over and bury her face in the pillow so he need not hear her idiot's mouth. Mouths had much better uses.

"I am happy to hear this, your grace. Remaining mired in the depths of sorrow will not help the Riverlands. I think you might even find happiness in another marriage. Some solace." And should his next wife, born to House Mooton or not, bear the king a son, their entire kingdom would heave a sigh of relief. They weren't some savage ironborn scum to follow a woman who appeared more a man than the gender of her birth. They had morals, principles, and taste.
They were traditionalists. At least, he was.
EDMURE TULLY
 direct link • Jun 09 2017, 10:28 pm
years
• • 0 posts

a simple man

Edmure smirked as Jaysen continued on the note of numbers and conversations, the concern about his sisters being so worried about food earning Edmure's smile. "Women'd be far better company if they concerned themselves not with such trivial things. It is exhausting. Though, I can only imagine it is as exhausting for them that we do not care at all." Edmure shrugged, turning his face back down to his work, signing another paper and moving it aside. "May we someday live in a world where sex divides us a little less." Would certainly make his life easier. Understand Alora and Gwen and Laisa better? Oh what he'd give to have that. And of course there was matters of heir and some such.

Edmure shook his head as Jaysen noted that the girls had romanticized him. "Prepare them for disappointment if you can. I am the subject of but one song, and it is hardly flattering." Edmure spoke with some distaste. "Kings are men just like any other, and according to history I will remain relevant only because I rule during the greatest upset of power in 300 years. And to be quite honest Jaysen, I fear more making a fool of myself than them doing the same. Again, I'm the poor conversationalist remember?" Edmure breathed deeply, glancing up to Jaysen for a moment before returning to his labors. Glory, adventure, stories of grand victories. He had wanted such. He remembered such quite potently. But he had since abandoned such ideals when crushed by weight of a wife who hated him and a kingdom burdened by plague. He was a better man for it, but he would be no romantic hero to anyone. If his sisters wanted such, then again, they would have to be happy being disappointed. "Don't jinx me." Edmure said gruffly as Jaysen noted that he might find some happiness. Another thing that he had all but given up on in years as kingdom. The light of his daughters though, was brighter than anything else. "Get me hoping for unrealistic things like a content marriage and you'll only have a more upset king when it falls through again." He blamed himself for this, mostly at least. He was a broken man when it came to women, and several other things, but women was where his flesh and spirit failed him in unity.

jaysen

JAYSEN MOOTON
 direct link • Jun 18 2017, 07:28 pm
years
• • 0 posts

Jaysen definitely had the sense of being that he, and not Edmure, was the luckier of the two. He was not forced by virtue of his status to produce an heir, not any longer at the very least. His life was largely his own, within the parameters set by the king. He could enjoy simple things without worrying who he would offend. He had opinions, strong ones when it came to things like women in politics and such, but those were not typically questioned and certainly seldom analyzed by little birds and spiders. His movements were mostly unchallenged, uncared for and unwatched. Edmure was certainly not so lucky in that. Jaysen both pitied him for the gilded cage in which he lived and envied other freedoms Edmure did benefit from.

As for keeping the company of women and their worries, Jaysen had a rather strong opinion there, one likely not shared by many. Women should worry less about food and dresses and more about whether they have been pleasant company and pleasing in other aspects as well. A lady who knew her place, one who did not overstep bounds and who supported the men in her life could be tall, short, fat, skinny or something right in the middle. As long as she remembered her place. Some might think he was archaic in his thoughts, but he did not often share them out loud. Small doses had been doled out to those closest to him though.

"I would never let on that you are a mere man. They might try to win you over to their devious plots to take me and my purse down. It is better they think you invincible and untouchable." Jaysen nodded his head at Edmure. The king needed full armor that kept him safe from females and worse their mothers, who sought to get their tenterhooks into him. Not that Jaysen was that much better, but he did allow himself room for failure and ultimately gave his sisters the tools to entice the king without throwing them in Edmure's bed himself.

"I will not dare jinx you. Seven knows you've had enough bad luck in that department. It's simply time the odds were in your favor and you could at least find some peace. It is my greatest hope for you." Along with his new wife delivering a son. A healthy one. One that would be raised in the image of his father, taught to be fair yet not afraid to show strength when necessary. There were many good role models for a future king, not to mention Edmure himself. despite his hardships, he was a rather fair man and one who did not deserve the troubles he had been dealt.

But who did deserve those sorts of woes?

EDMURE TULLY
 direct link • Jun 21 2017, 09:03 pm
years
• • 0 posts

a simple man

Edmure raised an eyebrow as Jaysen insisted he'd not dare let his daughters think him but a man. His reasoning was perhaps self-involved but it was amusing nonetheless. Edmure had lost delusions of greatness long ago, but the title of king would never let the rest of the world truly lose them. Regardless, some would have them all believe that the title of king whilst a High King reigned was pointless. Edmure would fight that every moment of every day. To be a king was to rule, to reign, to be supreme. A lord would always swear fealty to a king and be loyal to that man. To be king was to have control, to have choice. It was also to have more responsibility than any warden. A king was to be relied upon, looked to. Edmure liked to think he'd have made a pretty damn good lord. But a king was a whole other challenge. "Then, by all means." Edmure replied to the thought at last. "I am as it were, untouchable. A glorious king, if that is what is wanted of me."

Jaysen mentioned the jinx again, though more seriously than Edmure had truly meant it. Granted he had used a serious tone, but still. Jaysen's words though, they were appreciated. Edmure was glad to have at least one person out there who wanted him to be content, satisfied with his lot. It seemed so few did. Though, such was only by appearances. If Edmure truly thought about it, he was sure many dozens of names he came up with would fill that role, would indeed care about his peace. It was just the feeling of it. That exact same burden he had mentioned before of responsibility, that exact same ideal that Jaysen had just placed on him, the idea that he was on a pedestal. It was isolating in a rather draining manner. But he would not complain. He could shoulder this burden. "If I had a drink, I'd raise it to that Lord Mooton. And let's hope the Seven agree with you, and load my dice for the future. Now then. Back to work."

jaysen

(end?)
NATALIE
 direct link • Jun 28 2017, 09:23 pm
yo friendly advert mod
STAFF
years
• she/her • 91 posts

Thread Archived!

This thread has been deemed complete. To have this thread reopened, please contact a staff member via PM with a link to the thread and the forum you wish it to be placed.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

TAG BOX

tag box rules
♦ Register/post with your OOC alias
♦ Mature, RF and Letter tags can be found in the "Smilies" Link
♦ Just paste your link, no need need for [url=]or []
♦ Any site-related post may be tagged here
♦ Character names for OCs can be colored by using [class=grouplowercase*][/class*] tags! Further assistance with classes and hashtags HERE, and for the generator HERE!

skin by miss texas at cttw, cc, and shine