A Call to Arms

most wanted canons

ATTENTION: ACTA is going Private and will henceforth be primarily character driven! This means we will no longer be doing outside recruitment/advertising (though we will not turn folks away if they stumble upon us). We also will have fewer admin-driven site events, and no activity requirements. Want more information? Check out the Announcement HERE!

Add Reply
New Poll

wish we were all rose colored, stuar | second crone
CASSANA ELESHAM
 direct link • Jul 10 2017, 09:58 pm
lady of the paps
little shadowcat
house dayne
THE VALE
16 years
athena • she/her • 16 posts

Cassana knew she had to let go of her anger at some point. She would be near the king seeing as she would be at court with the queen she would be serving. Everyone wanted to let go of the past though, of their ghosts and somehow it felt wrong to just forget about the people who had been lost at the Gates of the Moon. So because of her unwillingness to forget, she was also unable to let go of her anger and her feelings. It was a bad place to be in and her mother continuously told her how anger made a woman ugly but her mother also seemed to forget that Cassana did not care if she turned ugly.

She had spoken to Emmelyne some that morning and she would have spent more time with her friend but she had much to plan for the wedding and Cass did not wish to get in the way. She knew little of weddings and less of what should be at a proper ceremony for new royalty so she thought she would just get in the way. She was not willing to sulk for the day though as she had since being at Sisterton when she was alone. She did not wish to sulk nor did she wish to get herself into trouble, as she halfway had with Davith and as he had warned her not to. He was right in one regard, she had to make sure her actions did not reflect negatively on Emmelyne or the Sunderlands as a whole. She cared little about her mother, but she did care for the woman she would be serving and her family did not deserve Cass getting them branded as traitors.

So the redhead made her ways out of doors, deciding maybe nature was something she needed. It wasn’t ladylike but it was less likely to get her called a traitor for making faces at Arryn supporters. And it was possible that being outside and in her element could calm her some. At any rate, it was smarter than running off until her mother trusted her to not do something stupid like that, which obviously she would sooner or later. Cassana was not meant to be stuffed away in a castle all day. She liked the outside and running around much too much. Her mother called it childish and unladylike, but she cared little.

She wondered if maybe there would be a bow open somewhere that she could practice shooting, and maybe even word of it wouldn’t reach her mother’s ears. She was in search of such fun when she saw a squire she recognized immediately and smirked. He was taller than the last time she had met him, and he seemed to be looking ever more like a Sunderland, which certainly was not a bad thing. It seemed Niclas would have some good cards to play when trying to give away his brothers to make alliances, especially considering Emmelyne’s soon to be position as Queen.

She smirked as she neared Stuar, figuring he likely was in need of some good distractions as well. “My Lord, you must be excited for your sister’s impending nuptials,” she said with a smirk as she neared Stuar, wondering if Stuar was excited for such things or angry on the inside as Cass was. It mattered little, in public, everyone was excited for the royal wedding of their new king. “What fine skills are you honing today?” the redhead asked the boy, wondering what exactly he was up to. If nothing else, it was more excited than simply wandering, even if her wandering was with the purpose of finding a bow and arrow to shoot. How she longed for that familiar feeling in her hands once more. “Now tell me, have you been knighted yet or are you still awaiting such honors?” she teased him slightly, smirking once more at him, her eyes somewhat playful as she spoke.

@STUAR SUNDERLAND
STUAR SUNDERLAND
 direct link • Jul 11 2017, 12:36 am
Squire
little brother of sisterton
Sworn to House Arryn
THE VALE
16 years
N • he/him • 23 posts

It would appear that The Three Sisters was filled with grumpy adolescences, for Cassana was not the only one that was in a foul mood. Stuar was not at all pleased with the situation that had been unfolding but as it appeared his family was willing to roll with those type of dice, and he was the youngest of them all he had little enough say and enough love for them that he would not try and strike out to derail their plan. In the very depths of his soul he was certain that they were planning something. Something that they had not told him about as a way to get revenge on Jasper for the crimes that he had committed to their family, and to many other families at the Gates of the Moon. But he was the brother of the woman that was soon to be Queen in the Vale and so he had to not embarrass her or his family, which meant he had to find an outlet in which to focus his anger, and maybe do it alone.

He hated archery. Not because he thought of it as a useless skill but because he was not very good at it. He was able to hit a target sure enough, standing around and taking the time that he needed but it was not often a bullseyes. At least, not half as often as he would have liked. He might as well work on that, if his mood grew to foul because of it at least he would have that as an excuse to be dark. So he left the confines of the indoors and went out.

His tunic was simple, something that would not easily show dirt or perspiration from his training. Most of all, it was comfortable and didn’t limit his range of motion for pulling back the bow strong and letting the thin wood go, sailing through the air off to hit some target. He was just prepared to retrieve a bow and some arrows when he heard a voice behind him speak. He turned his head around and force a smile upon his lips and a slight bow “Lady Cassana, I am excited” he paused for the briefest of moments as he considered his response “at the prospect of my sisters happiness, as any good brother would be” he offered thinking the words didn’t sound too bad. He was not excited about the wedding, and he did not think that it would lead her to any happiness but there was a chance that it could lead to some.

Stuar cocked an eyebrow at the girl, how had she known that he was going to be training then he looked down at his clothing and realized that it was obvious. “I am going to master the bow, you may come and watch if you with” he responded passively. He had hoped to spend some time alone but as far as company went there was worse than Cassanam surely. Perhaps too then others would leave him alone if they thought he were trying to show off for a girl. Gods be good he might actually do pretty well in the sight of someone as well.

At the question of his knighthood Stuar inhaled through his nose and exhaled through his mouth making the red-head wait a moment. “I have yet to be knighted, but it is only a matter of time” he assured her, his tone confident. It would take more than time though, he needed to find someone else to squire under and prove himself worth of being called a knight. That was something else that was devastating, but as it was the least of his many current worries, it was something that he could work on and dwell on without anyone thinking much of it. “Have you found a husband yet?” he asked raising an eyebrow to the girl. They were the same age but it was more likely that she would find a betrothed before him due mostly to gender but it also didn’t help that there was an army of Sunderland’s that were Stuar senior to choose from. He felt that he was pretty safe from being stuck in a marriage that he would detest.

However, if fate has proven one thing, it is a fickle creature.

Stuar nodded his head towards the direction that he was heading off to, it was not far from here where they could get a bow and some arrows and started heading off in that direction to retrieve a bow and a quiver of arrows. “I have heard it rumored that you have a fancy for archery. Perhaps I can teach you a thing or two” he suggested when he was certain that nobody was in earshot. His tone was casual about it as well, really he meant that she could watch and he would do the shooting because that is what was usually expected.

@CASSANA ELESHAM
CASSANA ELESHAM
 direct link • Jul 13 2017, 07:55 pm
lady of the paps
little shadowcat
house dayne
THE VALE
16 years

Cassana looked to the youngest Sunderland as he spoke of being excited for his sister’s happiness. She wondered if Emmelyne would ever find happiness with a murderous, false king, but she supposed that was not her place to judge. Maybe Em would find happiness, and Cassana did hope she was able to, as she assumed Stuar also wished for his sister, whether or not either of them liked Jasper Arryn or not.

The young man spoke of going to practice the bow, allowing her to join if she wished. “Seeing as I’ve not much else to do, I suppose I shall join you. It is that or return inside to work on needlepoint and I am not very fond of needlepoint,” Cassana said with a small smirk. She was also terrible at such things. She had spent so much time trying to be a boy that she had never been any good at more feminine hobbies. Sometimes she wished she had cared more about such things, but she could not have brought herself to and so instead she would likely never excel at things like needlepoint.

As it were, Stuar was saying he had not been knighted yet but it was only a matter of time, before throwing her comment back at her and asking if she had found a husband yet. She would only ever be as good as the man she married, even if she did not wish to marry. Likely she would be married to some Arryn loyalist, a way of showing Jasper that House Elesham was loyal to him. “Hopefully you find a knight to serve under soon then. One who might soon knight you,” she commented with a small smile, deciding not to try and give him a rough time over it. She had a feeling he hadn’t taken Ryon running well. She knew it would have hurt her.

“I have not yet found a husband. I think my mother intends to parade me around Sisterton what with all the nobility here and find a suitable man to marry me to. She’d prefer my marriage to show our loyalty to Jasper Arryn but I think she would do anything to get me off her hands,” Cassana said with a shrug and a wrinkle of her nose. She did not wish to marry and she especially did not wish to marry a man who was loyal to Jasper Arryn. But it was no secret to her that her mother couldn’t wait to marry her off and be rid of the woman. Maybe her mother hoped a man could tame Cassana.

She looked to the male as he spoke about her fancying archery, and offering that she could maybe learn something from him. Cassana was many things, however modest was hardly one while cocksure was a good way of describing the girl. She let out a small laugh at his words, amusement in her eyes. “I think it unlikely you will teach me something, I think myself rather skilled in archery,” Cassana said with a smirk to him as she began to follow him. Maybe a lady wasn’t supposed to be skilled with a bow, but she thought she was. Her father and then brother had helped to train her for though she was not strong enough to really ever battle with anyone, she was skilled with the bow and shooting.

STUAR SUNDERLAND
STUAR SUNDERLAND
 direct link • Aug 01 2017, 01:50 am
Squire
Sworn to House Arryn
THE VALE
16 years
N • he/him • 23 posts

I can only imagine why one would not like such a thing” Stuar responded with a snicker in his voice but didn’t let it pass as a full laugh. He could not imagine sitting in a room doing the needlepoint and being content with that for the rest of his days. Perhaps saying that it was for the rest of ones days was an exaggeration but it would sure feel that way stabbing away and a sheet of fabric over and over again. Making patterns. No, Stuar would rather take his chances at stabbing a person.

He nodded at the wishful thinking that he would fight a knight that would allow him to squire under him and that he may be knighted soon. He supposed that would depend on the knight. Once might expect him to start from the beginning in terms of his experience or hold him back some because of who he previously knighted for. A squire of a king that fled did not sound the most honorable of things but that is what Stuar was. When Ryon returned and claimed his throne once again it would be seen differently, but for now Stuar was a squire without a knight. He knew one thing, he did not wish to squire for the current king in the Vale.

Stuar listened to what Cassana had to say and for the second time in a very short period he thanks the gods for making him a boy rather than a girl at his birth. He did not have to worry as much about marriage as she did, even if it was expected of him to get married he was the youngest son with little to no chance at being heir or lord of his family. Even if he was, he would still be a man which he had a lions share of the say in a relationship. “It seems to me you would be wise to find your own husband, one that you could at least live with rather than waiting for someone that your mother may find for you and that may make it…difficult to remain with” a Jasper loyalist, that was a shame really. “If you don’t mind my saying” he added unsure if it was really his place to be giving advice.

You do?” he asked raising an eyebrow at Cassana, his smile uncontained and it was evident that he found the idea of her being good at archery amusing. Better than he, it seemed that she claimed. “We’ll have to see about that” he said at the moment the duo entered the building to get the equipment. Stuar asked for a bow and arrow for the two of them and made it a quick affair and then they were free to head off to a range. Stuar chose to go to one that was far away from most, a rarely used one to avoid witnesses. To protect Cassana’s dignity, of course. He wasn’t at all worried about her boasting being true and that she might be better than he was.

Stuar started to stick his arrows into the ground in front of him to make it easier to grab when shooting. “My friends and I used to make silly bets on who would be the best…” he let the suggestion hang in the air looking up at the red head.

CASSANA ELESHAM
CASSANA ELESHAM
 direct link • Aug 04 2017, 08:16 pm
lady of the paps
little shadowcat
house dayne
THE VALE
16 years

Cassana let out a small laugh as the youngest Sunderland spoke about choosing her own husband. How lucky a young son must be if he thought the world could pick their own spouses. She did not wish to be married at all, but perhaps it would be less ominous if she were able to pick her husband. Her mother would never let her though for Cassana would never pick an Arryn loyalist to marry. How despicable any man who would break guest rights truly was. There were men of other kingdoms of course, but she had a feeling her mother would prefer someone to tame her, and she very much would never pick such a man. Maybe someone like Stuar who seemed to take some amusement in her more wild side, but even then she was unsure.

“My mother would never allow for me to choose my husband. She would consider that a travesty, women making their own decisions on who they should marry. No, of course that must be left to the parents. But I do not mind your input, for truly I think then marriage might be bearable. Besides, who I might marry seems to be suitable for discussion by anyone so I do not mind you weighing in as well. Your view seems to be more refreshing than others,” she smiled at him with a small nod of her head. Anyone was able to talk about who a woman should marry and soon her mother would have her marching in front of all the lords that had gathered for the royal wedding, ready to see who she might be able to marry her young daughter off to.

Cassana rolled her eyes as Stuar seemed surprised that she might be good at archery. Such a typical boy to think a woman could not be as good at sport as they were. “You will see, and you will be sorry you have doubted my skills,” she smirked at him, following the male as he went to retrieve a bow and some arrows for them to use. He picked the furthest target away from the others and she had to wonder why he was keeping them so out of the way, though she supposed she should be happy for it. She did not think her mother would approve of her showing off her archery skills at all, let alone to the youngest brother of the soon to be queen.

She watched Stuar as he began to place the arrows in the ground, watching his movements and looking to the boy. “And what sort of bet would you want to make with me? Not that ladies make bets of course, but seeing as I will be besting you anyway, I’m curious what sort of bet you envision making with me, My Lord,” she teased him, smirking at him as she spoke, playfulness in her eyes at the notion of placing bets on who was best between them.

STUAR SUNDERLAND
STUAR SUNDERLAND
 direct link • Aug 31 2017, 08:46 pm
Squire
Sworn to House Arryn
THE VALE
16 years
N • he/him • 23 posts

Stuar shook his head upon hearing that her mother did not wish to her chose her own husband. Perhaps it was the generous freedom that the boy had being so far down the line to inherit his family holdings, but he couldn’t imagine not even being consulted about such a thing. Feigning that his opinion mattered and at least saying hearing home out on the idea. It didn’t seen that Cassana had such delusion of choice.

In the end none of them had choices, they did what their parents or Lords/Ladies required of them and that was that.

I can’t say that I am envious of that sort of life, but, as you are now lady in waiting to my sister you may find that your mother lightens her hold. So long as you are good to my sister. One wouldn’t wish to upset a Queen by taking away her lady prematurely, with any luck that is” Stuar shrugged a shoulder unsure what her mother was truly like and knowing it may only a temporary block. He felt for the girl, he did, and so he might speak with Emmelyne about finding her a suitable husband that she would at least not hate. She knew the girl best, and should be able to find her a match given her rise to power.

The young Sunderland did not believe the girl, but in truth, if she managed to hit their target then he would have been impressed. Ladies did not shoot bows and arrows, it was known. Still, she had confidence in her skill and so would have her chance at it. Then he, a squire to the former (and true) king of the Vale would best her. It was nothing to boast about -beating a girl- but when the alternative is losing to one… there was only one choice to be made and that was win.

Stuar let out a sigh when she asked what he might have requested of her in a bet. As it was rhetorical and did not matter for he would win, he struggled for an answer. It wouldn’t have been fair to ask something of her in truth, for it would be taking advantage of the girl and the situation. “If a lady were to make bets with a man I might request that when I win I have your guaranteed favor when a tourney comes around and I am able to join. No matter our age or situation” meaning if she were married by then or not.

Though ladies do not bet” Stuar started as curiosity overtook him and the arrows were placed in the ground in even batches. He handed one of the boys to the Cassana but did not let go, not until he had an answer “if they were to bet, what would a lady ask a lord for?
CASSANA ELESHAM
 direct link • Sep 03 2017, 01:54 pm
lady of the paps
little shadowcat
house dayne
THE VALE
16 years

Cassana looked to the male as he spoke of not being envious of her life. Of course he wasn’t, no male would be. They at least had some more freedom in dictating their own destiny and had the chance to inherit or become a knight. She was some prize to be given away as her mother saw fit, though she supposed soon she would have the Queen of the Vale on her side. “I will always be good to your sister, she deserves that at the least. My mother hopes to prove our loyalty to the King with my placement, but I can be happy that hopefully it will shield me from a marriage for at least a bit longer,” Cass said with a small nod. She thought Emmelyne was a good woman, one who deserved much better than that monster who now claimed the crown and she did hope Em might be able to help keep her from a horrible marriage for at least a bit.

Cassana knew she would not be able to postpone her wedding indefinitely but she did hope she at least did not have a cruel man who would seek to repress her. She was not a proper lady and she would never be one. She simply wished for a man who would understand that she would never be that woman and accept her for it. She knew that was a lot to ask for, and it was certainly not something her mother would be searching for in a match for her. Her mother likely wanted exactly the opposite, to squash any will within her and force her into a submissive wife.

She smirked as Stuar spoke of making a bet with her even though ladies did not bet but if they did he would ask for her favor whenever they might be at a tourney, smirking at the implications of giving him her favor despite if she was betrothed or married to someone else. She regarded him for a moment, waiting to see what else he might have to say, though he was offering her the bow and asking what she might ask for if she were to win, which the girl did not doubt she would. She was good with a bow and arrow and she enjoyed shooting.

She reached out to take the bow, though she realized he wasn’t going to let go until she spoke her own side of the bet. She thought for a moment, realizing if she were a more romantic girl she may have asked the brother of the future queen for a kiss upon her cheek or some such nonsense but she wasn’t. “If I were to bet, I would ask My Lord for a dance at his sister’s wedding,” she said with a small smirk. It would be a good sight for her mother she was sure, and something to make her mother proud. She was not good at dancing but it would be good to have something to take her mind off the wedding and off of Jasper. “And I will gladly give you my favor when you ask for it,” Cass said with a small nod, accepting the terms of his side of the bet.

She took the bow from him and reached down to pull up an arrow from the ground, notching it into the string and pulling back the arrow, aiming at the target and taking in a breath and releasing the breath, releasing the arrow as the breath was completely out of her lungs, her blue eyes watching where it landed and smiling as the arrow landed slightly right of center. It was good enough for her first shot, good enough to show Stuar that she indeed did know what she was doing with a bow and arrow. She turned and looked to the male, raising an eyebrow at him as she smirked.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

TAG BOX

tag box rules
♦ Register/post with your OOC alias
♦ Mature, RF and Letter tags can be found in the "Smilies" Link
♦ Just paste your link, no need need for [url=]or []
♦ Any site-related post may be tagged here
♦ Character names for OCs can be colored by using [class=grouplowercase*][/class*] tags! Further assistance with classes and hashtags HERE, and for the generator HERE!

skin by miss texas at cttw, cc, and shine