A Call to Arms

most wanted canons

ATTENTION: ACTA is going Private and will henceforth be primarily character driven! This means we will no longer be doing outside recruitment/advertising (though we will not turn folks away if they stumble upon us). We also will have fewer admin-driven site events, and no activity requirements. Want more information? Check out the Announcement HERE!

Add Reply
New Poll

the swan’s song I kept to myself as diversion, Second Father | Tag: Shyra
FALKIERI SWANN
 direct link • Jul 09 2017, 01:49 pm
Heir to Stonehelm
The Wildfire Knight
House Baratheon
THE STORMLANDS
21 years
Dusty • she/her • 25 posts

The winds howled outside the castle walls, Storm’s End battered by another of the storms that were so commonplace. A flash of lightning lit up the horizon in the distance, but the lack of thunder audibly preceding it told Falkieri that the worst of it was a distance away. It might come closer, it might not. The sea was roiling, waves roughly battering the cliffs far below the window, licking up the keep walls. If he closed his eyes he could imagine a slight shudder in the stone walls he was propped up against as he peered out the window, watching the rain lash against the windowpanes. It was only his imagination, he was sure.

Days like these were miserable in the Stormlands, getting soaked to the bone the moment one went out into the rain. Most who currently called Storm’s End home or were visiting were inside, unless they were unfortunate enough to need to attend to duties outside. Falk had decided to hide in the library from those who would seek him out in a stroke of uncharacteristic cowardice. He had taken quite a fall in a recent practice melee, everyone high strung in the wake of the declaration of war, and found himself avoiding his fellow warriors. His pride was fine, but he thought it best to not aggravate his sprained wrist sparring with everyone who asked, lest he be counted out of the upcoming fight.

Musty bookshelves surrounded him in his little corner, the library an ingenious hiding place as few who knew him would think to look there. Falk was not known as a book lover, although he did appreciate the knowledge they held and secretly thrilled in reading the more fanciful stories when he thought no one was looking. One such book rested on the stone still next to him, where he had set it when the storm and lightning had distracted him. It was, from what little he’d read of it, about another one of those honourable knights who saved damsels and won fights.

Falk ignored it for now, peering down as best he could at the rocky cliffs below and the waves, listening for the thunder of the lightning in the distance. If they were lucky the storm would move away and leave them with sunnier days in the future, or else they had a miserable time ahead of them. He could not hide in the library for many more days, with war declared he would be leaving with the rest in short order.
SHYRA SWYGERT
 direct link • Jul 11 2017, 09:04 pm
Lady
conqueror of books
House Baratheon
THE STORMLANDS
24 years
athena • she/her • 72 posts

Shyra was newly arrived at Storm’s End and settling in slightly, waiting for the arrival of the Northern Princess who she would be serving from now on. Stannis had hoped to find a Lady for the Princess Arya and Shyra had been chosen for the task. She was the youngest daughter of a house that was not of the highest import and serving a Princess was surely a good way to bring honor to her house. One day she would be married as well, and she did hope that would happen sooner rather than later, unless her husband did not wish to have kids of course. She was getting older and she knew she should have already been married with children, but that was not possible as of yet.

The truly exciting part of Storm’s End for Shyra was the library. She had had a strong love of books since she was young and her father had always encouraged that love. She had spent countless hours in the modest library of her home but now she would be able to spend time in the library of Storm’s End. She hoped the Princess Arya would allow her to spend time reading as well. She figured even if the princess did not there would be time for her to sneak off at night to read in the library.

With a storm raging outside, and no princess yet to serve, Shyra knew where she desired to be. She made her way to the library, wanting to be there and enjoying a book. She had already spent a few days in the library and she was sure it would become a common place for her to be. There were so many tomes and scroll to be read and Shyra hoped to read each one she possibly could.

As she entered the library she noticed a man in a corner amongst books, frowning for a moment. He was familiar and it took a second to place him as someone she did not expect to find in the library. Curious as she was though, Shyra was unable to simply ignore his presence and find her own book to read. No, she wished to know exactly why he was in the area she was looking to spend time. “A knight in a library, how interesting. Do you not have combat skills to practice, Ser? What are you doing in this fine library?” she asked as she approached him, still racking her brain to think of his name but pushing that thought aside for now.

@FALKIERI SWANN
FALKIERI SWANN
 direct link • Jul 12 2017, 07:49 am
Heir to Stonehelm
The Wildfire Knight
House Baratheon
THE STORMLANDS
21 years

The insistent patter of the hard rain covered any sounds the new arrival made as the door opened and she stepped in, Falkieri living in ignorant bliss for a few moments more as he peered out over the horizon line. The silence broke just as another flash of lightning lit up the horizon, startling Falk rather more than he would like to admit. He turned rather quickly, knocking the book off the ledge, the thud of it on the stone floors making him wince as he hoped it had not fallen in a bad way.

“Do you not have combat skills to practice, Ser? What are you doing in this fine library?” said the Lady. Princess Arya’s lady-in-waiting, he thought. The moment of shocked silence, at both being caught by surprise and interrogated so abruptly, gave him time to slowly recognise her. The young Lady Swygert, he believed, someone who had taken issue with his many boasts at tourneys over the years. Her wit had stung then, although he had made a point of drawing it out of her.

“Do you always interrogate unsuspecting men in libraries, Lady Swygert, or am I special?” he hedged—and by his easy grin, rather welcoming to the whole ordeal. Admitting he was hiding was too much for his pride, but she seemed insistent enough that he might spill his secrets despite that. A potentially friendly face in a castle full of stern men thinking of war was always welcome. “Although, I am used to your sharp tongue, so I cannot fault you for seeking an easy target.”

As he spoke he knelt to gently pick up the book. He awkwardly brushed any dust and dirt off the pages, his wrist aching at the movement, before snapping it shut and crossing the short distance between the window and the shelves to put it back in its proper location. His fingers skirted over the spines of the other books on display, pondering the titles.

“I was reading, as it happens,” he teased, casting a quick glance in the Lady’s direction, grinning still. “I cannot always be the great big oaf whacking people with a stick.”

He was perhaps skirting the line of being too familiar and being too glib, something his mother had always warned him of. He found it hard to be deferential at times.
SHYRA SWYGERT
 direct link • Jul 31 2017, 09:26 pm
Lady
conqueror of books
House Baratheon
THE STORMLANDS
24 years
athena • she/her • 72 posts

Shyra glared at the man as he spoke to her, asking about interrogations after knocking a book off the desk. She frowned as she looked from the book up to the knight. “Not every man in the library, no, only those who I do not expect to see. If you need my attention in a library to feel special you must truly be lacking in skills as a knight,” Shyra added for good measure. She thought she had a beat on most people in the area and some seemed quite likely to be found in the library she had made her haunting ground and she had not expected to find Falkieri in the library. And now she was curious.

She smirked slightly as he spoke of her sharp tongue and him being an easy target. “You know you make it less entertaining to make you a target when you dub yourself an easy target,” she said to him with a small smile, teasing him slightly. She could speak in jest as well and although she was looking to enjoy a good book, she supposed she could enjoy the company of the male who had found herself in her area.

She watched as the male bent over to pick up the book and place it back on the shelf. At least he seemed able to take care of the books in the library, and in truth Shyra could hardly ask for more from people. It was not her library, but she still loved books of all sorts and really did not like to see them mistreated.

“Do you not enjoy being a brute who can use a stick to hit people? I thought knights liked to show off such skills,” Shyra said with a small smirk to the male. It still did not make much sense to her why he was inside the library, but she supposed people could have more than one interest and it would be so silly of her to think otherwise. She was smart enough to know people did not often fit into neat little stereotypes, even when she tried to put them in one anyway.

Shyra looked out the window for a moment before her blue eyes found their way back to the male. “So, since you apparently enjoy reading, Ser, tell me what types of stories you enjoy. Maybe we even share an interest in books,” Shyra smiled at him with a small nod of her head.

FALKIERI SWANN
FALKIERI SWANN
 direct link • Aug 10 2017, 04:53 am
Heir to Stonehelm
The Wildfire Knight
House Baratheon
THE STORMLANDS
21 years

Shyra was as quick and sharp as ever, casting doubt on his martial skill. Had he been more self-conscious about it—or, indeed, wholly unfamiliar with Shyra—he may have let it ruffle his feathers. As it stood he did not, instead finding it all a pleasant distraction from the gentle throbbing of his wrist and his self-imposed loneliness.

“You know you make it less entertaining to make you a target when you dub yourself an easy target,” she said, gracing him with a smile. Ah! A softening of her teasing. Maybe hiding away in libraries was the thing to have her warm up to him, rather than their many encounters at the tourneys. He had admittedly made a habit of acting quite the boob, but that happened when every knight and his squire had something to prove.

“Oh my, we cannot have that, can we?” was Falk’s response, smiling still. “In the future I will make sure to hold my tongue and allow you your amusements. A Lady should be entertained, after all.”

Shyra continued her small interrogation, her curiosity unending in this. He would have to spill his secrets, however insignificant they were. “Do you not enjoy being a brute who can use a stick to hit people? I thought knights liked to show off such skills.”

“Oh, I thoroughly enjoy being a brute,” he answered breezily, selecting one of the book of the shelf—some treatise on tactics a hundred years past, but he recalled it had some florid descriptions of battles that he had enjoyed as a squire and forced to read it. “But alas, I cannot show my skills off today.”

He held up his sword hand, even as he pulled the book off the shelf with his other. “I erred in a spar, the maester says my wrist is swollen and needs rest. So I am here, hiding from my compatriots whose blood runs high.”

“Maybe we even share an interest in books,” Shyra asked, and he provided. His reputation would not suffer if it got out that he enjoyed the occasional book, no matter the subject matter. He knew even Alistair had read some of the more fanciful stories.

“I enjoy a little bit of everything,” Falk easily admitted, not well-read when matched up to Shyra he was certain, but there were libraries in Stonehelm as well. “Even these dry treatises, but I think my favourite is the tale of Durran Godsgrief and fair Elenei. It was a dramatic read when I was younger.”
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

TAG BOX

tag box rules
♦ Register/post with your OOC alias
♦ Mature, RF and Letter tags can be found in the "Smilies" Link
♦ Just paste your link, no need need for [url=]or []
♦ Any site-related post may be tagged here
♦ Character names for OCs can be colored by using [class=grouplowercase*][/class*] tags! Further assistance with classes and hashtags HERE, and for the generator HERE!

skin by miss texas at cttw, cc, and shine