A Call to Arms

most wanted canons

ATTENTION: ACTA is going Private and will henceforth be primarily character driven! This means we will no longer be doing outside recruitment/advertising (though we will not turn folks away if they stumble upon us). We also will have fewer admin-driven site events, and no activity requirements. Want more information? Check out the Announcement HERE!

Add Reply
New Poll

Star Map Debug
NIKI
 direct link • Jul 08 2017, 07:59 pm
Staff
Orange
ACTA
STAFF
27 years
Niki • she • 228 posts

I decided to make a separate thread for questions, complaints, comments, and bugs because the announcement thread is long and heavy with information and examples.

But I still have information.

1. We're trying to come up with a "build-a-letter", an idea borne from a request from @ASHLEY yesterday; we see how much effort people put into their devs - moodboards, playlists, outfits, overall aesthetic inspiration - and want to give customization options to allow a similar expression of character.

2. PLEASE set your alert settings to at least ensure that you have New Personal Message Received to Inbox checked. You will NOT get notifications of new PMs otherwise, unless you rely solely on your personal email.

I will be sending out a Mass Alert later to i) get everyone used to this new feature and ii) remind everyone, again, to please review their alert settings.

This was a feature that Green (@GENDRY STORM) has request eons ago, and lord bless her patience because I definitely appreciate the alert system now that it's implemented.

3. The writer links option is definitely in place now; when I posted the announcement yesterday I didn't add it to our custom fields until Green pointed out that it wasn't there - OOOPS but it's there now. I encourage everyone to take a look at the writer limits thread and post their own; I will be following my own advice and doing the same shortly.

4. I still have a few DOHTML templates coming, specifically ones made for want ads and one for a shipper. I want to optimize it to be more user-friendly, as it is code-heavy, but I'll be releasing them here soon. If you have any requests for some 'default' templates, tell me. Also I love the fucking colors dropdown jfc I hope you all do too.

5. I have tried to optimize the position of the forums and sidebar to the best of my ability across many [lap/desktop] screen resolutions. The sidebar should NOT overlap with the forums, and if it does you should let me know.

It's not easy to build responsive skins, but as more and more people use mobile and tablets, I hope that JCINK will have more resources when it comes to building responsively in the future. Moving forward, I will start to chip away at using percent-based sizing VS hard-coded pixel sizing.

That's all the points of additional, post-release information I have for now. Regarding questions, complaints, comments, and bugs, I have one request:

If you are telling me there's an issue, don't be like "something's wrong with my sidebar" and hit add reply. My dudes, I need to know WHAT is wrong, not just that something is wrong.

Now go forth, send me bug reports and complains and questions and comments and annoy the shit out of me until the skin is working smoothly for everyone in the community.
GENDRY STORM
 direct link • Jul 08 2017, 08:12 pm
years
• • 0 posts

To kind of go over for Niki why this Alert system is so great, not only from like an admin POV but from a member POV I am kind of here. You can customize the level of 'Alerts' you want to get- for example I know that it's not some people's cup of tea, and that's fine! Totally cool. Just turn those bad boys off and what not.

However, for those of us who are scatterbrained, or like in my case, that have the multiple characters, the feature is super super great. While we still want to make sure to use the tag box (because that's what we majority point to guests at to show we're active and because some people will NOT be using the alerts) for others its great. It will also save me from asking people to NOT send Pm's to my other characters, especially new members who are like, "oh hey I want to make this person for Dany, I'll PM you" and then I'm like, "Oh PM Gendry instead please." because, hey, that's sometimes annoying for them and then they have to either search out Gendry's member profile or they have to make sure to spell his name right (which here can be difficult because remember in canon Gendry is Gendry Waters not Storm)

Also, I know that there were people in the past that liked it and would try and use it but it wasn't in place yet. So now we're using a medium that other forums are too AND our old tagging system. No more excuses for missing plotting or posts or what not!

I would suggest that if you KNOW someone isn't using the system (I think Natalie has mentioned she won't be using the system, also why I'm not tagging her with it) to not use it because for those people that are burned by it or annoyed by it they might just not want the clutter of alerts/ emails (though, again, you can turn those off and customize how much you actually see this feature)

So yes, thank you Niki for implementing it! I know that it's such a minor thing and again I love our tag box, but I feel like it will sort of be more useful as we start trying to bring in other members that might be used to this being the tag system they're used to using- especially with new season hype starting we'll probably see a lot more people. ^^

One more note, it's also useful for like, example, people that aren't necessarily going to be around for a while. Like best example, Riku is on an absence right now. I just started a new topic for her on her Niclas character. Rather then shooting her a message on AIM (which she might miss because of getting reception and then not getting reception or might check and then forget about by the time she gets back) I can tag her and that Alert will sit on her account until she clears it. Preeety neat. ^^
EMMELYNE ARRYN
 direct link • Jul 08 2017, 08:23 pm
Queen of the Vale
the sister of sisterton
The Seven Kingdoms
THE VALE
24 years
athena • she/her • 129 posts

Alright, so I have two things, but to start out I am going to say I already super duper love the alerts system because its already proven useful with receiving a PM on Shyra and seeing it show up as an alert on my Em account which is what I'm always on so I'm looking forward to using it more!

I do have a problem with the sidebar on my screen because I have a small laptop. I had this problem with the last skin too. Basically the sidebar doesn't really overlap necessarily with the skin but part of it is cutoff. Like the part that has the help, smilies and profile link is cut off. I reduced the size of the site to 90% and everything looks fine so it isn't the biggest of issues because I've had it at 90% for awhile now but I wanted to let you know.

Also, just as a thought, maybe with the dohtml templates that are being made one could be made for posting with a picture? I think it would be nice to have a cohesive template for people who want to use a gif or picture with posts. Just a suggestion and if you don't want to make it, then that's cool and I get it!

But thanks for everything Niki! The new template looks banging!
NIKI
 direct link • Jul 08 2017, 09:08 pm
Staff
Orange
ACTA
STAFF
27 years
Niki • she • 228 posts

Yes thank you for posting Green! I appreciate you taking the time to include your thoughts here, especially as you have more experience with the functionality of alerts than I do.

One thing in Green's post reminded me of this and I want to make it clear:

JCINK Alerts ARE NOT the same as Chrome's Push Notifications.

JCINK's Alert System is not dependent on it, nor related to it. Alerts do not send a popup each time you get one, and you will only see your alerts when you click the Alerts button in the sidebar, or if you go to your User CP.

I encourage everyone to give alerts a try, especially since each time I've heard someone be unhappy about Alerts, it turned out that they were actually Chrome's Push Notifications and not the alert system at all.

Athena (@EMMELYNE ARRYN) - this issue with your sidebar is certainly something I'd like to work on getting fixed, especially if you have to view the board at 90% - my old eyes would not be able to handle that for long periods of time, and while you are awesome for being willing to use the site like that, I'd still like to see a solution so you can view the site at 100% and still have it work properly.

I will look into this, and you'll likely have me hitting up your PMs to ask you to test some things on my test site here in the near future.

Regarding post templates - yes! In fact, we may already have some options available, depending on what size image you'd like and what placement. I also just updated that post with a couple of THINPOST-inspired DOHTML options.

For the post template that has the 400x200-sized image, I can make that into a BBcode button instead of DOHTML, so I'm happy to do that as well.

Below is a preview of one of the templates I'm trying to optimize before I post them here - this was made with want ads in mind, but as you can see it could easily be re-purposed into a post template as well.

But yeah - I can definitely work on additional post templates with picture options, so feel free to let me know what sized image you like and I can mess around with our post template to include it.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vestibulum non dolor non odio vulputate tempus quis cursus libero. Proin hendrerit auctor feugiat. Sed varius est in odio congue, eget ultricies lacus commodo. Pellentesque nibh magna, volutpat dapibus nisl eget, placerat rutrum lectus. Nullam ac lacus in ipsum feugiat condimentum sed ac orci.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vestibulum non dolor non odio vulputate tempus quis cursus libero. Proin hendrerit auctor feugiat. Sed varius est in odio congue, eget ultricies lacus commodo. Pellentesque nibh magna, volutpat dapibus nisl eget, placerat rutrum lectus. Nullam ac lacus in ipsum feugiat condimentum sed ac orci.
Mauris non sollicitudin nisi, in commodo purus. Vivamus hendrerit tellus vel ante dictum fringilla. Cras ac pulvinar neque. Mauris non sollicitudin nisi, in commodo purus. Vivamus hendrerit tellus vel ante dictum fringilla. Cras ac pulvinar neque. Mauris non sollicitudin nisi, in commodo purus. Vivamus hendrerit tellus vel ante dictum fringilla. Cras ac pulvinar neque.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vestibulum non dolor non odio vulputate tempus quis cursus libero. Proin hendrerit auctor feugiat. Sed varius est in odio congue, eget ultricies lacus commodo. Pellentesque nibh magna, volutpat dapibus nisl eget, placerat rutrum lectus. Nullam ac lacus in ipsum feugiat condimentum sed ac orci.

JANEI LANNISTER
 direct link • Jul 08 2017, 09:27 pm
queen of the westerlands
the golden girl
Sworn to House Lannister
THE WESTERLANDS
18 years
lauren • she/her • 41 posts

First off, I'm so impressed by everything that was added to the board, it really is tremendously lovely.

I also have the issue with the cbox on my laptop- it's a chromebook and very small, but a media query for screen size that activates a scroll could probably take care of that, if you guys are looking into a solution.

Also wanted to point out that on the mini profile it duplicates the 'sworn to' words. Obviously it's nbd to go in and swap the profile around, but if that was something y'all wanted to keep consistent it's worth a look.

Thanks so much for all the functionality upgrade NIki!!

ETA: Uh, weird thing that when I view the site at 100% it won't show bold text, but when I'm at 110% it does. I'm on a large screen for a desktop using google chrome. Lmk if you want screenshots or anything! I think it's working fine on my laptop, but I will check and let you know
NIKI
 direct link • Jul 09 2017, 11:02 am
Staff
Orange
ACTA
STAFF
27 years
Niki • she • 228 posts

JANEI LANNISTER Thank you, I'm glad to know that you like it!

I took out the duplicated SWORN TO in the mini profile - good catch! Other shit like that may still exist, but hopefully we've whittled most of those errors out of the code.

Regarding the sidebar:

Great advice RE a media query, I'm still working to smooth it out as a whole and I'll continue to work on optimizing the skin across a variety of viewport sizes, but there ought to be a scrollbar along the sidebar that should solve this issue for now.

As far as the bold text goes - I can't recreate this issue (I'm also on Chrome), but I did add a code to reinforce the fact that <b> and <strong> tags should have a font weight of bold - I'm not sure if that solved anything but I did throw it in there. I have an appointment here soon, but I will continue to look into why that may happen.

But yeah, I'm glad you like it and I'll continue to search for that 'sweet spot' that will make the skin optimized across as many viewports as possible. Thanks for all your guys' help.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

TAG BOX

tag box rules
♦ Register/post with your OOC alias
♦ Mature, RF and Letter tags can be found in the "Smilies" Link
♦ Just paste your link, no need need for [url=]or []
♦ Any site-related post may be tagged here
♦ Character names for OCs can be colored by using [class=grouplowercase*][/class*] tags! Further assistance with classes and hashtags HERE, and for the generator HERE!

skin by miss texas at cttw, cc, and shine